Candida overgrowth is no fun for anyone. This opportunistic one-celled, fungi-like organism is responsible for a host of frustrating and seemingly unrelated symptoms that, over time, gradually weaken the immune system and negatively affect liver function. It can be caused by several factors, including stress, antibiotic use, and/or a high-sugar and carbohydrate diet.
Some common symptoms of candidiasis include:
- Fatigue and the experience of “feeling sick all over”
- Brain fog- feeling easily overwhelmed by tasks
- Intense sugar cravings
- Bloated abdomen or abdominal pain
- Yeast infections/ anal or vaginal itching
- Oral thrush
- Fungus on finger and/or toenails
- Eat a no-sugar diet with minimal carbohydrates. This includes fruit as well. Instead, eat a balanced diet rich in pastured meats, chicken, and eggs, seeds, nuts, healthy oils (olive oil, coconut oil, butter) and LOTS of non-starchy vegetables.
- Take probiotics or eat PLAIN, whole milk yogurt. These beneficial bacteria will take the place of the candida bacteria and contribute to an overall healthier digestive system.
- Take HCl supplements to increase stomach acid production and, therefore, the absorption of nutrients and the digestive capacity of the body.
- Address psychological issues that may be exacerbating the cravings for sugar and excessive carbohydrates.
- Support the liver and immune system.
- Here are some antimicrobial formulas that could be effective: Candex (Pure Essence Labs), CDX (Theramedix), Colon Guard (Pharmax), and Candaclear Four
Foods to Eat
- Non-starchy vegetables: avocado, asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cucumber, eggplant, garlic, kale, onions, rutabaga, spinach, tomatoes, zucchini
- Cultured food: plain yogurt and kefir, sauerkraut, miso, natto
- Organic meat, fish, eggs, butter, nuts, seeds, herbs, and spices
- Non-glutinous grains in moderation: buckwheat, millet, quinoa
- Oils: coconut, olive, flax, sesame
- Herbal teas, stevia
Foods to Avoid
- Starchy vegetables: potatoes, cooked carrots, beets, yams, parsnips, turnips
- Fruit, sugar, wine, beer, caffeine
- All dairy products except plain yogurt and kefir. Because of their cultured nature, they may be properly digested due to their low amounts of lactose.
- Beans, legumes, soy, tofu, mushrooms, pork
- Glutinous grains, rice, and corn: barley, rye, wheat, spelt, oats (not glutinous, but can be contaminated during production. Eat at own risk).
- All vinegar EXCEPT apple cider vinegar, which may be beneficial in battling candida overgrowth.
- All processed food and rancid oils.
- Green smoothies with ginger: celery, cucumber, spinach, spirulina, protein powder, flaxseeds, ginger, lemon
- Eggs over sautéed veggies and avocado
- Plain, whole milk yogurt or kefir w/ nuts, seeds, cinnamon
- Soup- leftovers, chicken vegetable, broccoli (minus the potato), lamb and/or vegetable curry, beef vegetable, asparagus, cauliflower, etc.
- Buckwheat cereal cooked in almond milk w/ nuts, seeds, cinnamon
- Almond butter (with no added sugar) on quinoa or flax crackers
- Piece of turkey sausage w/ sautéed spinach and garlic
- Sautéed veggies in coconut oil + fresh juice (ginger, kale, celery, cucumber, carrot)
- Buckwheat granola: coconut flakes and oil, chia seeds, cinnamon, stevia. Eat w/ unsweetened almond milk or plain yogurt
- Almond butter w/ celery, bell peppers, cucumbers
- Gluten-free waffles w/ cinnamon and organic, pastured butter
- Piece of turkey sausage, eggs, and a side salad
Lunch and Dinner:
- Sardine or salmon salad w/ lots of raw veggies
- Grilled chicken salad w/ cilantro dressing
- Quinoa and roasted red pepper salad w/arugula
- Soup- see above
- Coconut chicken curry
- Grilled chicken or steak w/ steamed or sautéed asparagus, zucchini, and summer squash
- Seaweed salad w/ miso dressing
- Soup w/ soba (buckwheat) noodles
- Baked cod or salmon w/ sautéed spinach and garlic
- Curry dish- choice of meat (other than pork)
- Mediterranean sardine salad w/avocado (substitute the balsamic for extra virgin olive oil and hold the feta cheese)
- Raw veggie and quinoa bowl w/basil
- Veggie and quinoa noodle soup
- Pho soup w/ a bone broth base and bok choy and broccoli
- Cabbage rolls
- Pesto quinoa pasta w/ asparagus, kale, and Brussels sprouts
- Grilled veggie salad w/ dijon mustard dressing